Subject: Re: GLOW and FIELD RENDERING QUESTION (
From: <[email-masked]> (ALAN LLOYD )
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Oct 27 13:51:50 1995

Robert Cohen wrote:

>In editing video which was recorded with two camera, I often
>rely upon 
>the flash of a camera to "syncronize" the camera two footage
>since we 
>don't use time code.  

>(snip)

>I would guess that is is faster than 1/30 of a second.  

Yes, it is less than 1/60 of a second actually, if you "jog"
through the tape, you're seeing one _field_ at a time, and the
flash is on just one field.  I sent this in to AV-Video a bit
ago, it was published in Dick Reizner's "Tips to Clip" column (a
very good compendium of useful production-type info, btw).  We
use Hi8 3-chips, which do not have genlock inputs or time code
preset capability (ouch), and popping a strobe has let us cut
two-camera interviews in real time on a BVE-910, by hot-switching
at the controller head.  If you do this the BVE-910 will even
make a new edit at every switch point, and then you'll have a
list that you can use later, and (nice trick here) you have only
to calculate the difference between the time signatures on the
two tapes _once_ and you have your ongoing offset, for any cover,
deletions, cutaways, what have you.

We have even done this with a third Hi8 camera and it gets a bit
nastier (as in demanding lots of intense concentration, I'm
usually pretty beat after one of those edits) but workable.

HINT: Run mixed audio to all the cameras and you'll have it "made
in the shade"...but just use one of them, or you'll probably get
phasing problems making your audio sound really weird.

Sorry about the long off-topic post, but this seemed a good place
to pass along a couple of shooter's/cutter's tricks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Lloyd                                              
[email-masked]
>> All standard disclaimers apply.  Non-standard disclaimers
   available on request.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
<[email-masked]>  (ALAN LLOYD ) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]